Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Transition 2.0

If you read my previous blog entry, you know I recently uprooted my life, and moved to NJ (very proud it's the first state to legalize same sex marriage -- it's about time!) But I digress. Since my last post I have invested time and energy into job hunting for digital marketing jobs in NYC. To try and standout from the heaps of applicants, I created my own website, started my own elance page, and attended several NYC Meetup groups.

Margarita Rubio personal website and portfolio.

I grow impatient. My reason to wake up "early" is to move the car on street cleanup days. Without a job, or knowing another soul in one of the most populated metropolitan areas on earth, I've been spending a lot of time finding inspiration at home. I'm a people-person, and when I'm isolated, it's like the energy has been drained from me. Not to mention, the ongoing process of  concisely summarizing the essence of who I am and why I should be hired (without using key words like "team player", "innovative"or "motivated" etc.) drained all the passion in me. I realized that despite my experience and abilities -- I would have to settle for a low-paying internship or entry level position to get into a advertising agency or marketing start up in NYC. Was that my only option?

And then came the emotional plateau. I started doing some soul searching. I took character quizzes, started retracing every career decision I made, explored what I value in life. How did I really feel about a career in the advertising industry? What's my end game?  I came across this TED talks that have since shifted my mentality and daily activities. 




I am writing today, because I thought it was important to chronicle this experience. I have a luxury that not many people have -- time. And in this time, I'm proud to announce, I made a whole-hearted commitment to start a business to meet the technological demands of the growing middle class in Latin America, and establish my home-city, Miami, as the tech capital of Latam. I'm not sure how to accomplish this yet, but it's an objective I'm eager to pursue and explore. 

here's another great watch:

I'm revitalized. As my old blog said, Reinvent Yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment